Paternity Lawyers – Sevierville, TN

Paternity Lawyers - Sevierville, TN

If you are an unmarried father, you will need to establish paternity to prove that you are in fact the father of the child. Without establishing paternity, an unwed father does not legal rights to a child. This can affect child custody, visitation and the ability to be involved in the decision making process for the child.

Some rights of a parent:

  • the right to decide who sees the child
  • the right to enroll the child in school
  • the right to get public benefits for the child
  • the right to obtain medical treatment
  • the right to restrict visitation


The easiest way to establish paternity is to include the unwed father’s name on the baby’s birth certificate. If this is not possible, an unwed father can complete a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity form in your state.

If the mother contests the father’s paternity, the father can petition a court to establish his right to paternity. The unwed father will need to take a paternity test to prove he is the father of the child.

After paternity is confirmed, parents can begin negotiating a parenting agreement or parenting plan. A parenting agreement / plan will include things like which parent will have primary custody, the parents visitation schedule, and specifics on which parent will make decisions regarding the child’s education, health care, and religion.  The visitation rights of unmarried fathers will also depend on other factors like their relationship with the child, any drug or alcohol use, or any history of child of past child abuse, etc.

Contact A Sevierville Paternity / Parentage Attorney

We can help you woth paternity / parentage legal issues. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with an experienced and knowledgeable paternity and family law attorney.


Ogle, Rowell & Penland, P.C.

Ogle, Rowell & Penland, P.C.